Sunday, February 01, 2009

Lol I always come out from a jaunt through Facebook-trawling feeling pretty lame.

ANYWAYS IN BETTER NEWS!

I went to this pretty amazing gig today, the first gig I've been too in a very long time and wah lau, the music was hella awesome. At first, the $18 entry seemed like quite a drag, even though it was a for a good cause but just seeing three of the bands listed to play at the gig made it damn worth my money. First band we caught was Amateur Takes Control, who co-incidentally! Has romantic links with a super-cool friend, who now that I've made this connection, has +97213172 Cool Points lol.

Hazri disagrees with me, but I really prefer listening to shoegaze/alternative rock/post-rock/whatever! live rather than a recorded version. There's something incredible about listening to all the layered sound going from heartachingly sweet tones and then building up and then you can FEEL the vibration from the bass (guitar and drums) hitting you and then the IMMENSE sound filling my ears like the universe! Its so huge and dense but you can feel every inflection and you're in touch with every motion and then the peak hits and the strobe light flashes white -

God, its just this intense bliss.

Or maybe that's just me, channeling and projecting my own emotions into a random well of sound that some people would consider noise.

And also, we saw Great Spy Experiment which is pretty nifty! Since the (higher priced) gig they had at the Esplanade sold-out damn fast and hey, technically $6 bucks to watch a 30-minute set so hurrah! It was nice that I could sing along (lol what a fangirl..) and its always nice to hear the vocals live (i.e. wow he really does sound like that in person) and 'Siti in the City' was really great to hear live, and gah 'Late Night Request' in all of its melancholy. BUT, BUT! The greatest bit was the last song they played, called 'The Lights'? I'm not too sure whether this was on their album, but holy geez it was effin amazing! I think the vocalist had some reverb thingum somewhere and phwoar, what immense sound! It reminded me of U2, and while I don't usually like U2, it reminded me of a very, very, very good U2.

And MUON! I know they sound good on record, but live, their clear sound just cuts through the air man. Again with what I mentioned (or raved, rather ha) about hearing shoegaze live.

Lol I am being so damn superlative tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment