Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Today, while covering lecture notes from my astronomy class that I have only attended once this entire half-semester, I learnt that the light from the sun takes 8 minutes to reach us!

I see my day by something that happened 8 minutes ago. Its a strange, strange tension between past and present.

And you know, since everything is formed and/or defined from light, colours (which are, I think, the reflection of different wavelengths of light) and light helps us define forms, I think its pretty crazy-ridiculous that our present is shaped by something that is past.

No? Anyone else see the craziness?

In any case, it'll help me feel less guilty if and when I start delving back into old sad stories, because hey, that seems to be the actual, physical condition of our lives on this planet! Hoho, nifty excuse.

This is why I wanted to take the astronomy class, I guess I see something romantic about the universe and all its systems and how they were formed. Its so massive, gorgeous but also distant.

Something humbling too, to know that Earth is part of our Solar System, which is part of a branch of one of the many lesser arms of the Milky Way Galaxy, which is part of the Local Group, smaller than another Local Group galaxy, the Andromeda Galaxy, which in itself, is minute against the unimaginable number of galaxies that probably exist in the universe.

To which I say: HOW CAN THERE NOT BE ALIENS.

I also like how my lecturer wrote in his slide:
Most of the atoms in our bodies were created in the core of a star! We are made of star stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment