Wednesday, July 09, 2008


Zomg I finally got myself a facebook.

In the sense that i meekly agreed when charmaine said she'll sign up an account for me, because I just feel too plain self-conscious doing it myself, especially since by now, Facebook is like, quite a done thing.

And its so strange lah! You know the part where you add friends that you may know, which makes me go: well, I suppose she's my friend...Because you know, what if the person sees my Friend Request and goes, what who is this person? We're not even friends!

How mortifying.

On another note, a day in the life of a person who didn't find regular work during the school vacation and so is BORED OUT OF HER MIND because the rest of her friends did or are occupied with National Slavery that is NS (oh, so clever!), I went to the museum by myself. (Which I used to do quite often actually, before I got a boyfriend and everything. Ah the days before I had a person who was more than happy to oblige my adrenaline-charged itinerary.)

Anyway, the trip to the Singapore Art Museum was quite worthwhile because they were having a photographic exhibition of Alain Fleischer that were quite cool. His style is very lo-fi and totally experimental, totally up my (current) alley. The aesthetic is dreamy and nostalgic, where the direction of the photography is decidedly more painterly than the documentarian's pixel-perfect accuracy.

The bulk of the work exhibited rests upon the idea of a capturing a picture of a picture/painting and in doing so, creating an entirely new work in terms of the picture's texture and a slight shift in focus. I like how in a certain project, he enlarged a segment of frames from a film reel, showing the point in which the movie cuts to another scene. It would make sense you know, if it was being played as a movie? But frozen in this format, you really see the schism between two images that in its original film form, would have seamlessly be processed through our heads.

And, it just looks cool man.

So enough words! On to the pictures:





No comments:

Post a Comment