Tuesday, August 12, 2008


The morning light through the classroom screens was pretty today. I really love it when I wake up in bed to this subdued kind of light. Granted, it's not the GOOD MORNING, WAKE UP PLEASE kind of sentiment, but who wants that anyway! Ha. This kind of light is the kind that makes you feel soft and comfortable, a precursor to a gentle and thoroughly pleasant day.

I am stuffing my face with carbs now. In lieu of Proper Dinner, I am having the mini butter rolls that Gardenia comes up with, which are really very good actually.

I just got the letter from mendaki today which confirmed that I will not be heading off to london. I will be staying in Singapore where there is/are:
- sun
- cheap-ish food
- cheaper places to develop film
- full access to a dark room
- more than sufficient school facilities
- information and the know-how to get odd, strange materials* from the cheapest place possible
- friends
- a certain friend I've developed a very close working relationship that is full of potential for future ventures (crossed fingers)

Clearly, I am putting in a lot of effort to look on the positive side of things.

*Speaking of which, a recent project I was working on for school involved a friend and I having to do a presentation on a given designer (Zuzana Licko, who comes up with really interesting fonts, Mrs Eaves in particular..) as well as producing a souvenir for our classmates. Since Zuzana is famous for being a typeface designer, with a nifty name at that, we decided to showcase her fonts in the form of an alphabet block.

Which obviously meant we needed a source for the blocks of wood.

We were at first going to head to Ikea and cross our fingers that they would have building blocks in their children's department when my mum suggested instead that we source it instead from an industrial timber shop. Obviously something we should have thought of in the first place but I suppose the industrial backwaters of Singapore are not the first thing that comes to mind for a 20 year old greenhorn.

Although it should! Because for 24 2" cubes, we got it for what, $14. And the wood itself, a 8 foot plank of wood was 5 DOLLARS. Super cheap can!

Of course, we had to go through the trouble of finding a shop willing to sell us the measly amount that we wanted and then, the really nice workshop guy sawed the whole plank for us even though his boss told him only to saw through like half hoho! Avoided extra service charge! Am very pleased.

Also pleased with is how the project eventually turned out.






And here's the typography project that I mentioned in the previous entry! Charcoal on a huge-ass piece of craft paper, photographer with from the top bunk of my double-decker bed and Illustrator-ed to come up with a chart of the letter's anatomy hurrah. Uh, but this copy here is one with a mistake and some accidental omissions, like how the end of the stroke is just that and not actually a terminal? And I forgot to mark down the x-height. Such a noob.

No comments:

Post a Comment