Monday, June 06, 2005

right i absolutely should not be blogging right now. as expected, my mugging stint at charmaine's has been rather inefficient but hey - I TRIED.

so in a moment of fidgety boredom (econs just does that to you), i picked up the style issue of Juice and me, being a partial bimbo, have always found rather interesting. what got me pissed though, as i flipped through it, was how label-conscious everybody was! it bothers me that your style/street cred is defined by the brand that you're wearing like check me out, i'm wearing bathing ape/diesel/NIKE. i am so cool. I CANNOT STAND IT, AND THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE UNDERGROUND CULTURE IN SINGAPORE. tell me, how different is it from mainstream elitism!

it's a whole new dimension of haute couture and what an entire waste of social consciousness it is. i do get how they want to be different and it is great that these labels offer something that to some degree, is not mass-produced. i understand that absolutely, but what i find irksome is that it is all very pretentious when the level of your "coolness" is defined by how exclusive (read: expensive) your stupid t-shirt is! it's great that what you're wearing is edgy and is a oh i don't know, displays your identity but really, you have to agree that it gets rather ridiculous.

do you see my point.

it is very irritating when people pride themselves for being edgy and non-mainstream for not wearing mainstream stuff, but when in fact, in attitude, they are just as elitist as the paris hilton clone in her burberry mini-skirt.

the question that i have to ask now of course, is am i one myself? obviously not the paris hilton clone or someone just shoot me DED. i suppose i do practice a form of elitism (HAHA) and the only thing stopping me from becoming the people that i have just slammed is the lack of moolah. hahahahahahahaha i laugh at my own hypocrisy - it is just so easy to be sucked into playing the social heirachy without even knowing it. just for your amusement, dear readers, i'm wearing a giordano top and jeans by that brand endorsed by *gasp* F4. so i don't know how elitist i am myself, but i suppose today is one of those days i lapse.

hmm.




charmaine says: *hands up* i admit that i'm a leeeeteeel brand conscious, but maaaaan, to me, spending $1000 on a pair of limited edition jeans is just what a not very bright person with loads of ka-ching would do. Obscure limited edition clothing does not upp your coolness factor, people. And what's with surfwear?! nyeeeah! Its everywhere! It's like this contagious disease which is spreading its tentacles through the ah bengs and the i-wanna-be-cool people. Beware, Ah bengs are currently very clevely cameoflaged under all the quiksilver and ripcurl surfwear brands. Surfwear is taking over the world!! HELP!!! Mmaky. Time for me to shut up. I'm babbling after the over-taxing of my brain through the studying of econs.

No comments:

Post a Comment